In the eighteenth century, due to the earthquake of February 20, 1743, many of the walls of the medieval period were demolished. The walls of Ostuni were rebuilt between 1350 and 1356 and in 1487 they were enlarged towards the Mezzogiorno by the Aragonese. The walls were demolished in the eighteenth century for reasons linked to the impossibility of repairing the damage suffered by curtains and towers, which today are now part of private structures.
Which are the boundary walls of Ostuni?
The boundary walls of Ostuni are three. The first wall was built by the Messapi, a people who left traces of their civilization and culture in Salento. We can see these walls in the Rosara district.
In the XI century D.C. the Byzantine emperor Basil the Macedonian built the second wall, was restored by Emperor Frederick II.
The third wall is the best preserved and impressive and can be admired at the beginning of Porta Nova up to the ancient Palazzo Scalona.
When were the boundary walls of Ostuni built?
The first walls around Ostuni were built between 1350 and 1356 by the Angevins, to defend the city from the attacks of the Teutonic Compagnia dei Saraceni. In 1480 the Aragonese built towers and ramparts to defend themselves from the Turks, who wanted to take over the Adriatic ports.
In 1500 the walls were restored by Queen Bona Sforza, feudatory of Ostuni, who allowed the construction of civilian homes.
Nineteenth-century palace located in the center of Ostuni. Renovated respecting the original style.